Evaluate Your Finances in 2013
The start of a new year is a great time to evaluate your finances and make a savings plan. If your bank account isn’t where you’d like it to be, read on to find out how save an extra $1,000 this year.
As of Feb. 1, there are 334 days left in 2013. A little math reveals that setting aside $3 a day for the rest of the year will total $1,002 by the end of the year. Here are 10 tips to help you save $3 a day:
- Skip the coffee shop before work. Instead, make coffee and breakfast before you head out the door.
- Read magazines online or at the library instead of buying a copy in the check-out lane.
- Bring your lunch to work. Packing your lunch with last night’s leftovers makes your dollars go even farther.
- Cancel your gym membership. Find ways to exercise at home or go for a walk outside.
- On your next trip to the grocery store, save money by comparing prices and buying generic brands instead of name brands.
- Make handmade cards or baked goods for friends and relatives celebrating birthdays or special occasions instead of buying cards and gifts.
- Take advantage of coupons provided in your local newspaper or by third-party online coupon providers.
- Rent a movie to watch with your family at home instead of hitting up the theater.
- Find someone at work to carpool with. With the price of gas, this could save you a lot more than $3 a day!
- Clean out your closets. Take clothes your family no longer wears to a consignment shop that will give you a cut of the profits.